John F. Massouh is a Member with Sprouse Shrader Smith PLLC. John’s practice focuses on agricultural law, business and commercial litigation, business bankruptcy law, creditor’s rights, and corporate transactions. He represents a wide range of corporate clients and individuals with challenging litigation, bankruptcy, and corporate matters including nationally known business failures in the cattle and agricultural industries and advising in the purchase of the world’s largest cattle feeding entity.
John has significant experience in the agricultural industry, representing feed yards, livestock producers, livestock dealers, farmers, ranchers, dairies, agricultural vendors, and financial institutions in debt collection, cattle care and feeding, lien disputes, grazing issues, fraudulent transactions, and all aspects of agricultural lending. He also regularly advises clients in the agricultural industry with all aspects of their day-to-day business and advises on multiple transactions and acquisitions across the country.
John has experience in federal and state court litigation and has handled a diverse range of business disputes both prosecuting and defending actions for fraud, breach of contract, construction claims, employment matters, and complex lien priority disputes. He has successfully tried several cases to a favorable verdict and obtained favorable rulings and decisions from state courts, federal courts, and bankruptcy courts.
John also handles all types of bankruptcy-related matters and litigation, representing many clients, including leading financial institutions and large publicly traded companies, in complex bankruptcy cases under Chapters 7, 11, 12, and 13 of the Bankruptcy Code. He represents both secured and unsecured creditors, as well as interested parties in all aspects of bankruptcy cases, including first-day orders, cash collateral orders, assumption or rejection of leases, relief from the automatic stay, objections to claims, Section 363 sales of assets, preference actions, plan objections, complaints for exception to discharge, and all types of adversary proceedings and contested matters.
John has a nationwide practice and has represented clients with matters in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Texas.
- Agriculture & Agribusiness
- Bankruptcy & Creditor’s Rights
- Trial & Appellate
- Banking & Financial Services
- Real Estate
Presentation / Activities
- “Ag Bankruptcies,” 10th Annual John Huffaker Agricultural Course, State Bar of Texas (May 2016)
- “Recent Revisions to the UCC” (June 2013)
- “Feedyard Lending and Marketing” (April 2013)
- “Bankruptcy Basics” (December 2012)
- “Overview of Common Livestock Issues,” West Texas Bankruptcy Institute (October 2011)
- “Where’s the Beef? A Workshop on Cattle Lending” (July 2011)
- “Recovering Attorney and Paralegal Fees,” Strategies for Damages and Attorney Fees 2010, State Bar of Texas (February 2010)
- Basic Mediation Training, 40-hour course; Dispute Resolution Training Institute/Texas Tech University (2000)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Texas Panhandle (Board of Directors, 2005-2008)
- Leadership Amarillo and Canyon (Class of 2005)
- Texas State Courts, 2000
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Courts for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Courts of the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Courts of the Eastern District of Texas
- United States Tax Court
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., 2000
- University of Texas, B.B.A., Finance, 1997
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Young Lawyers Association (Board of Directors, 2008-2010)
- Amarillo Area Young Lawyers Association (President, 2008-2009; Board of Directors, 2002-2010)
- Amarillo Area Bar Association (Board of Directors, 2008-2009)
- Texas Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Amarillo Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel
- American Bankruptcy Institute