Christopher D. Jones is a Member of Sprouse Shrader Smith PLLC whose practice is split between transactional business matters and wealth planning, with an emphasis on tax issues, trusts & estates, and commercial real estate.
Chris’s practice has a substantial focus on estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer tax planning including the preparation of wills, trusts, and related estate planning documents. Additionally, Chris has experience with complex estate and tax planning tools such as charitable trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts (GRATs), intentionally defective grantor trusts; (IDGITs), irrevocable family trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts (ILITs), and family limited partnerships (FLPs).
Chris also represents numerous business owners in planning and creating new business entities in addition to all types of corporate transactions. These include purchase agreements, buy/sell agreements, mergers, and conversions. Chris has also represented dozens of non-profit corporations in the their formation and applications for 501(c)(3) status.
Commercial real estate often overlaps the wealth planning and business issues faced by many clients. In representing developers, business clients, and wealthy individuals, Chris regularly advises clients regarding real estate ownership structures, commercial leases, 1031 exchanges, and other various real estate issues.
In his spare time, Chris spends time serving on the Maverick Boys and Girls Club of Amarillo, an organization that works to inspire and enable young people, especially disadvantaged children, to realize their potential.
Chris is also President of a local 1031 exchange company: Lonestar 1031.
Certifications / Specializations
- “Series LLCs: A business structure that provides new options to real estate investors and commercial clients,” Texas Realtor Magazine (April 2017)
- Texas State Courts, 2011
- Southern Methodist University, J.D., 2011
- Oklahoma State University, B.S. in Accounting, 2008
Professional Memberships and Associations
- State Bar of Texas
- Amarillo Young Lawyer’s Association
- Amarillo Bar Association
- Amarillo Area Estate Planning Counsel
- Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Maverick Boys & Girls Club of Amarillo, Board Member (2017-Present)
- Board Member, Teddy Bear Cares (2016-Present)
- Board Member, Amarillo Area Estate Planning Counsel (2016-Present)
- Committee Member, Family Care Foundation (2011-Present)
- iLead AISD (2015)
- Leadership Amarillo, Class of (2014-2015)
- Board Member, High Plains Drifters Soccer Club (2011-2014)